Thursday, August 11, 2011

Early Bird

Believe or not, this sleepy-Sally has been getting up the past few days to work out at 5:45 a.m.

My commute is a 3 minutes walk to the condo gym … I still believe people that get up, get dressed, and drive to the gym to make their 5:45 a.m. spin class are INSANE. You will NEVER find me doing that.

Even more interesting: this 5:30 a.m. wake up call has come out of laziness.

My school program usually gives August off. But I wanted to take a class a year early (so, this September), so I have to make up the class I would have had this September this month (… are you following?).

The class runs until 2 p.m., but with my hour return-commute and a usual errand or two on the way home, I know I will not want to start a work out around 4 or 5 p.m., the time when my work out usually ends (I’m about my routine, and I don’t do well with interruptions or changes).

So, I decided to try the early morning thing, and I actually really enjoy it. I don’t have to compete for the machines, I can turn on my CMT music vids or the news or anything not ESPN and I can jump around doing my plyos without crazy stares (and if I’m lifting really heavy, have the occasional grunt or loud sigh ... yes, I turned into a gym-douche.)

While I feel good this week, I’m really bummed that my numbers haven’t changed. Physically, my body is visually changing.

I lost a little off my hips and waist and my Roo-pouch is sloooooooowly shrinking, but being 8-weeks out, I’m nervous I won’t be ready.

Thankfully, the class I have to take this summer is Asian Bodyworks, so after my morning workouts, I get to do some serious stretching and Tai Chi (a little core work as I maintain some balance) as well as get massaged three days a week.

Hopefully my coach is more positive about my progress than I am. And since I haven’t done this before, I’m assuming my diet will change come the last few weeks, and make me more lean (currently, she wanted to me put on muscles … they are little, but they are there) … and possibly banish that pouch for good?

On a side note, early morning I start the day with a protein pancake. It's my favorite meal of the day (I've always been a breakfast person).

Many of you fitness comps have tried this before, but for those of you who haven't or don't eat breakfast, first, shame on you, and second, this is super easy, super quick and a great way to get enough protein in your diet ... especially for you lettuce-munching dieters.

Research has shown that those who eat a protein-heavy breakfast maintain a greater sensation of fullness throughout the day than when protein in eaten later in the day. Protein energy outlasts that of carbs, and it eating a protein breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism. Protein in the morning has been shown to benefit attention span and retention, too. And watch the "protein" shakes and bars ... it's frustrating but a lot of them are no better than a Snickers bar or a milkshake (read the labels!!!!)

YUM YUM!

Here is the recipe:

1/2 c. Old Fashioned Oats (uncooked)

4 egg whites

1 scoop protein powder of your choice (I really like it with chocolate)

Mix together and pour into skillet, and cooked like a skillet.

You could probably add a fruit to it too (some berries and apple?!)

I use a sugar-free syrup. I don't like artificial anything in my non-competition life, so choose whatever syrup you want, but measure out ONE serving (read the label).

Enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment