Friday, September 2, 2011

A little nutty

This week has been rather uneventful. It was actually plain rotten. Even the hubs coming home for a few days couldn’t get me out of my physical funk.

I have been grouchy and whiney about my meals (which I need to stop, because no body is making me do this). After I read that blood type Os should avoid eggs, and knowing eggs do make me a bit bloated, I decided to give up on the egg whites for a bit and focus on fish and veggies.

And fish is just plain boring. And I was feeling really bloated and distended, egg whites or no eggs whites (and this was just a few days after I took photos of my finally-visible abs ::sigh::).

Eating out is a big part of my relationship with my husband. Some people play golf or go running. We like to eat. We had (… still have) a long-distance relationship, so every other weekend we’d be in a different town, having a mini-getaway, complete with meals out. Since Mark still flies in and out, and I often don’t have his food (i.e., meat) at the house we often eat out one or twice while he’s in town. It’s our time to sit, talk, enjoy and experience.

Being so close to the competition, I told him no eating out this trip back. Luckily my husband is very INCREDIBLY understanding and proactive. He took my whiney-butt to the grocery store, and came up with new veggies to add to my list.

Spaghetti Squash ... oh, you and Acorn are good with butter and salt and butter and brown sugar too?!
Nom Nom Nom!

Since we were at Publix, I like to peruse the healthier food aisle, praying that there is some dessert thing I can eat (there never is).

But I did find almond meal. It’s like $12 for a bag, so before buying it, I thought I should research some recipes first … like a pizza recipe.

Which is exactly what my hubs did, and made me the following day. It was exactly what I needed.

I’m not supposed to have carbs, but the almond meal is low-carb substitute to regular dough. And I think I was in a place were I needed a “cheat” meal without making it a full-out cheat meal (my morale was hitting rock bottom). Some low-carb pizza sauce, veggies and some low-fat cheese (I don’t really like cheese, so I didn’t put that much on), and I was in heaven! I should have taken a photo, but inhaled it, and it was so good! Almond meal is actually a bit sweet (like almonds), so next time I want to bake I’m definitely using almond meal rather than flour (a great gluten-free substitute too).

Benefits of almonds:

1. High in monounsaturated fats – the good kind that have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease

2. Rich source of Vitamin E (for your complexion and skin!) and dietary fiber

3. They appear to decrease after-meal rises in blood sugar, and provide antioxidants to take care of any free radicals that can result (free radicals damage cells)

I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking at a healthier pizza option. Another great substitute: use a homemade pesto or hummus as a base rather than tomato sauce. It can add higher protein value. And make sure there are lots and lots of veggies!

Also, I was feeling totally bloated. After a little bit of acupuncture (yes, it can help relieve bloat, distension, digestive issues … as well as just about anything. Go see an acupuncturist!) I felt better within a few hours. But I also like to drink this little concoction:

~ One pitcher of water

~ One lemon (sliced as rounds)

~ A few spearmint leaves

~ Half a cucumber (sliced as rounds)

~ 1 tsp. of grated fresh ginger (I like to put a few tsp. in, but I like ginger)

It lasts two days, then I would replace the items with new ones.

Ginger

The Flat Belly Diet uses this drink in their detox phase. It tastes delicious and is good boost to just plain water (minus any aspartame that is in some drink enhancers). Plus ginger not only aids in digestion, it has thermogenic properties, so it can help with weight loss.

Let me know if you try any of these recipes! Happy healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment